Thursday, October 20, 2011

Home Alone

"Home Alone" was youngest son's favorite movie for the longest time. Grandma had a video and he would always ask to watch it about 5 minutes after he walked in the door. It's one of those movies that on the surface doesn't have a lot of redeeming value and I remember when it came out people thought it might encourage kids to trash their house. However, since I also have watched it many times, I've found that it has pretty good message to share, especially now that I'm "Home Alone".

Youngest son left for college last month and my husband is still working out of town Monday through Friday, so I often find myself alone in our big house. So like the kid in the movie, I've learned to appreciate my family even more. Like him, I think a little about what I might have done to deserve this and my regrets for when I haven't been the best wife or mother. I've learned that there are things I can do on my own that I always relied on someone else to do (at least to take a turn at it). Silly things like always being the one to take out the garbage, emptying the cat box, doing the dishes, and paying the bills remind me that I'm "it", no one else is around to help with chores. I've found that doing what I want, eating when I want, staying up late, etc. isn't really that fun after awhile. I've learned to consider what it's like for people who are always alone in their homes, because they're single or have lost a family member. I've got to admit that I haven't tried to befriend my "hermit" neighbor like in the movie, but I do have more of an appreciation for what life might be like for him.

I'm thankful that this won't be forever. This last weekend everyone was home for a visit and it was nice to once again have someone to talk and laugh with and have the kids friends in and out of the house. At some point my husband will be working from home again and we will have the opportunity to reconnect. I'll be a little different though. I think I've learned to cherish my family more and learned a little more empathy for the lonely people in my life.

1 comment:

Jeannelle said...

Its good to see a blogpost from you, Nancy! I've found the empty nest to be quite an adjustment, even with my husband around. "Home Alone" was a favorite here, too. Even now, everytime I'm in the basement and the furnace starts up, I think of that movie!!