Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Nice Window

Isn't this a cool window. It's in the landing of the front stairs at college daughter's new house. She's renting a house with 5 other kids for the upcoming school year. I helped her get the rest of her stuff moved in a couple of weeks ago and then she was back home for awhile. I took her back up to stay last Friday. They found a pretty nice house with 6 bedrooms and a nice kitchen, living room, dining room, etc. It's an older house, but in pretty good repair for a college rental.

I really envy her at this great time in her life. So many opportunities await, lots of interesting classes to take, an orchestra to perform in, and a new boyfriend...etc. I sometimes wish I could do it all over again, and get it right this time, but of course there's some downsides to going to college too. The poverty and stress for example, but I hope she appreciates the good parts.

I take my youngest son, TB, to college on Saturday. The town is only about an hour drive away, but it feels like he'll be a long ways away. It will be quite an adjustment I think, especially considering I'll be home alone with DH working out of town during the week. I'll have no excuses for not having a clean house and keeping up on my projects. I hope it will go okay and I won't be too sad. Another blogger had a great quote the other day and it really made me think about my upcoming circumstances. It is pretty easy to wallow in misery, not so easy to focus outward and accomplish something.

“Generally speaking, the most miserable people I know are those who are obsessed with themselves; the happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others…By and large, I have come to see that if we complain about life, it is because we are thinking only of ourselves.”

1 comment:

Jeannelle said...

Very nice post, Nancy. Last year, my college daughter lived in an old house, too. It had lots of old woodwork and other interesting features.