Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Iowa...it's flat and brown

I made a trip to Iowa over the weekend to visit my mother in the hospital. She was doing a lot better and was able to come home on Monday while my sister and I were still there. We got her medications set up, made some calls to her doctor, and have her set up to receive visits from a Home Health nurse, so I hope she will continue to do well. She was definitely anxious to get out of the hospital after 10 days. On my trip down, I went directly to the hospital using a road I hadn't been on before. It was little traveled and not near any towns. Every time I return to the area where I grew up, I am astounded by it's flatness. You can see for miles in every direction, seeing water towers and grain elevators for towns that are 10 or 15 miles away. I snapped this picture in the direction of my hometown; it's out there somewhere. This time of year, everything looks pretty bleak; fields of various shades of brown and black, bare trees, dirty snow in the ditches. I wish I had taken the time to get some better pictures, but I wasn't very inspired I guess. Interestingly enough, before I left Minnesota, I saw a flock of robins in my neighborhood. It's nice and sunny today, so I'll tell myself that Spring is just around the corner.

1 comment:

Jeannelle said...

Nancy, that's a really nice picture....the field seems to glow. But, yes, it is flat out there in central Iowa, more so than here in northeast Iowa.

I'm glad to hear your mom is out of the hospital.

Your sighting of robins is the first I've heard of this spring. Definitely, good news!