Friday, August 14, 2009

Skywatch from Iowa


Here are a couple of shots I took with my cell phone on my trip to Iowa earlier in the week. I live in Minnesota now, but I grew up on a farm in Iowa. It's nice to get down there this time of year when the crops are at their peak. This summer there has been plenty of rain, so the corn and soybeans are thriving and all of the grass is still green with wildflowers blooming in the ditches. Unfortunately though, a bad hail storm went through about 10 miles to the north of where I was driving causing a total loss in some fields. The weather can be friend or enemy to a farmer. These clouds looked like something was brewing and it was interesting to see the formations change as I drove across the countryside for about an hour. I live in town with a lot of trees in my yard, so sometimes I miss the open spaces, seeing the sunsets and being able to see for miles in any direction. Check out the other Skywatch posts for many varying scenery options!
**********
In other news, TB is at school getting his football gear today. We were surprised at his decision to play football this year and I hope he will continue to enjoy it once two-a-day practices start next week. Budget cuts in our school district forced a down-sizing of the marching band program in our school to the point that he did not want to participate any more. Too bad, but I hope he will continue to play in the concert band.

7 comments:

Quiet Paths said...

These are such interesting clouds just hanging on the horizon. Very nice.

texasnascarcowgirl said...

I am a cloud watcher so your pictures are very nice to see. Good color too.

Louise said...

The clouds are spectacular. I especially like the light and colors on the first one. But living in the plains, I can see how such beauty could cause uneasiness as it might bring the destroyer of the crops.

Mrs Quilty said...

I hate to hear of school districts cutting out band programs.....my son (who is now almost 30) was in the band from 6th grade through high school and is now a band teacher. Without band in school, he would not have had the fun and the wonderful leadership lessons from wonderful band teachers. It was the right place for him! Music is so all important for kids! Ok, I'm on my soap box! I love the pics of the clouds....I love clouds too and watching them change! I hope you have a good weekend!

Nancy said...

Thanks for stopping by everyone! Mrs. Quilty- I agree with you that music is very important, I'm glad that all my kids have been involved with it. My older two will definitely continue to play, but it was never really TB's thing, so if he chooses to quit, at least I tried.

SandyCarlson said...

Iowa sure is pretty!

Niina said...

I love the first one! So much drama! Greetings from Sweden and thanks for visiting me!