Thursday, August 13, 2009

Block(s) of the Month

















I've been a really neglectful blogger lately, for good reasons mostly. Anyway, before starting with the obligatory excuse list, here's my blocks for this month. I had to do two this month since the quilt needs 14 instead of just 12. I've also started on the applique portion that goes in the middle of the quilt. It is a large bunch of flowers tied with a bow. Up until last week, I had only done 2 stems, but I got busy and got the rest of the stems put on and also worked on some of the flowers. I was going to do all turned applique, but after doing the stems that way, I decided to just do the easiest way....iron on fusible web, cut out pattern, iron onto quilt, machine applique. It's still pretty time consuming, but it's turning out okay.
**********
DH and I just got back from a brief trip to Iowa to check on our parents. They have been in the nursing home this summer and now all but his mom are back home. Hopefully she will be well enough to go home in a week or so. The previous week I had a house guest from Monday afternoon until Thurs. afternoon. Then various other things including another trip to the cities, repeated carpet cleaning, insurance and financial wrangling, and then this trip this week. It all has made August fly by and before I know it, it will be time to move the kids to college and go back to work. Yuk. All in all it has been a pretty stressful summer and I hope things will start to turn around a bit for the fall. I guess I shouldn't complain though as things can always be worse. I'm very thankful lately that my back/sciatica pain has completely gone away after three months. I was starting to think I'd be in pain for the rest of my life, it was no fun, but made me more sympathetic to others that have chronic pain.

2 comments:

Mrs Quilty said...

First of all, Nancy, I am so happy for you that your back pain has gone away (for 3 months now). That is phenomenal! Yes, continuous pain and especially in the back is horrible!!! Here's a prayer that it'll stay away! Second, those blocks are beautiful!!! Such nice colors, soft and sweet...they must be batiks? Looks like it and I love them! Thirdly, I am sorry for all the things you have had on your plate with older parents! That is no fun and can certainly be stressful! I do hope your hubby's mom gets back home soon and that all stays well!!! It's very hard to have to deal with and make all the decisions!! My heart goes out to you!!! Keep blogging! We care!

Nancy said...

Thanks for stopping, yes, those are batiks, I've enjoyed working with them. I'm hopeful that things are on an upward swing, it has been kind of a tough summer.