Monday, September 7, 2009

Block of the Month and Etc.

Here's the block of the month for August. You don't have to look at it very hard to see that I didn't do a great job on this one. I got busy trying to finish some other projects for birthday presents for my friends and lost track of time. I put this block together super fast so I could get to the class and get next month's block for free. The deal is that if you show up at class with the previous months block done, you get the next one for free and only pay for the first block. So for both years I've done this I've gotten the entire quilt top for free. I'm cheap that way. Of course many months I've also bought additional fabric, paid for the completer kit, etc., so it's really not all that free. By the way, I didn't get the birthday projects finished either and what I did get done doesn't look the way I wanted. I'm going to sew some button tabs for hanging on the top of these little things and call them good I guess. I loved this "Fruits of the Spirit" fabric and cut the inside block with the sayings from the panel I got. I don't remember the exact name of the fabric line. I tried quilting these with the "hand look" stitch on my machine. I also tried using fusible batting, but it didn't stick for some reason, so I think that's why I have all the puckering. Rats. Hopefully I'll be able to press them out.
************
I'm back at work at school tomorrow, so I've been really trying to get caught up on my housework and cleaning before that. I've even cleaned some areas that never get done like under the washer and dryer and under the cushions on the couch. DH just shakes his head and says he should look for an alien pod because it certainly isn't my usual mode. My desk top is even pretty good. I still didn't get that painting project done and haven't done any yard work either. I can't believe how well my flower boxes have done this year. They still look great which is so rare for September. I think it helped that I took out about half of the old dirt when I planted and also planted more of a variety in each box, including impatiens, which have done well. I'll try to get a picture posted of them before it frosts.
************
CG and CS seem to be settled in well at college and they start class tomorrow too. TB is doing okay with being the only one left at home, but it is kinda strange to just be the three of us at meals. He's been gone quite a bit for football, so it's been pretty quiet around here. I'm looking forward to the first home game this Friday night and I think we will host the first after the game get together that night. We have a tradition with 4 other couples of getting together after all of the home games.

No comments: