Thursday, September 10, 2009

Harvest Time


Well, it's almost harvest time around here. The crops haven't done so well this year though and the produce will be enough to garnish approximately one side salad. Oh for a sunny spot in which to have a real garden. It hasn't been a good year for the food plants on the patio. I've only had enough basil to make pesto once and my regular tomatoes (all two of them) are still green and show no promise of supplying enough for even a BLT. On of these years maybe I'll go back to having a garden plot in the country. I did that many years ago when the kids were little and it was a disaster. The deer ate all of my beets at the moment they were ready to be harvested. The kids ran wild resulting in one really bloody accident involving one hitting the other over the head with a glass bottle. The weeds had a heyday and very little produce of any kind was harvested. One funny memory was that there was a port-a-potty at the garden. Little TB thought it was the coolest thing ever and needed to visit it every time we were there. I'll have to remind him of that. Ah, those were the days. File under "what was I thinking?!!".

1 comment:

Mrs Quilty said...

Yes, it's harvest time....ah, September! Love the weather and the beautiful evenings! I'm not much of a vegetable gardener, but my hubby is. We do have lots of tomato plants but I keep looking for red in the middle of all the green, and so far, nothing. Maybe they are hiding and until hubby has lots of time, (after the County Fair), they'll just have to wait! Love BLTs!