Monday, July 13, 2009

Finally Something Quilty

As I mentioned, I went to several quilt shops on Friday. I didn't get much in the way of new things, but I did find a couple of pieces of fabric and a new book. I went with my friends to our Block of the Month club first, so I thought I'd put a picture of this month's block and some of the other things I found.
Here's this month's block, it's from a book called "Wildflower Sampler". The fabrics this year are all batiks and I'm really enjoying the colors. The quilt has a large appliqued piece of a bunch of flowers in the center. I haven't done much with that yet. Here are the rest of the blocks on my design wall in my sewing room. After my experience with last year's BOM, I swore I wouldn't make any mistakes on the blocks, but that went out the window the first month. This month the center block is put together wrong ( the greens should all line up) and I cut the blue blocks with the wrong angle. Oh well, it will all look okay when it's put together.


I found a neat pattern book at the shop in Decorah. It's for making quilts with hexagon blocks. I used the ruler making the block above, but it will be right for these blocks. I got my first Jellyroll (roll of 2 1/2 in. fabric strips) last summer and I'm going to use a pattern from this book to make something from it. I love the look of the 30's style fabrics, so I can't wait to get started on it.By the way I was inspired to post my block of the month by Mrs. Quilty, who has a new blog and happened by to leave some comments for me the other day. Stop over an see her blog if you have a chance.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh so nice! I bought fabric about 3 weeks ago for a new quilt. Haven't even taken it out of the bag. I envision strips with appliqued hearts in varying pinks on a light green background, alternating with panels of appliqued tulips. about 7 panels in all, and then I don't know a double band around, one very thin? I'm not very good at choosing colors so I'm not sure I'll get the trim right. I need a kick in the pants! It's supposed to be a spring quilt, pink and greens. See me in 4 years, I might be done! lol

Mrs Quilty said...

So nice of you to try and lead others to my blog....this is so much fun!! Quilters get along so well and make friends easy! It's wonderful! Love your BOM blocks...very pretty and do love batik although I haven't used it much. Made a trip to a fabric store today for some blues and yellows for a bag for a stepdaughter.....loved the blue so much, got extra to make myself a big shirt...have you heard of those??? I've made about half dozen. They're wonderful! Have a good week!

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Nancy....a very nice post! What lovely colors in the quilt blocks! Your quilting room looks like a very pleasant place to retreat to.

Sounds like you had a great time visiting the shops. The jelly-rolls look interesting and handy, already cut into long strips like that. What a good idea and also the return of those old-time prints. I have a quilt my greatgrandmother made from similarly-printed fabric.

Have a nice day!

Nancy said...

Sherry,
Your quilt sounds nice-I've had many that I work on for a number of years. There's always a lot of UFO's ( Unfinished objects for you non-quilters)in my closet. You have to be in the right mood to applique.
Barb,
I haven't heard of the big shirt, you'll have to put up a picture of one. Thanks for stopping back.
Lois,
I had to keep the pictures cropped close, my sewing room is such a mess. I just need to part with some of the junk I guess. I have some old quilts made from the original old fabrics too, they are a real treasure!