Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm definitely getting a little lazy about posting. This time of year gets a little stressful for me for a variety of reasons and blogging is one of the easiest things to let fall through the cracks. When the days get short and gray, money gets tight, family stresses have to be dealt with, etc. it's kind of hard to get in the mood for holidays. On top of it all I have a cold, so I took a sick day today. I'm not that sick, but I'm hoping taking a day to catch up on things around the house, take an afternoon nap, and stay in out of the cold will help.
***********
On a brighter note, we go to pick up college son for the weekend tomorrow. It will be good to see him and he is definitely ready for a break from school. TB is having a good time with his marching band in Disney World. They are performing in the Magic Kingdom parade today. SD is busy with school and a little stressed too, but she got some good news yesterday. She was one of 10 kids from her high school invited to be a part of a special program about research at the Mayo Clinic. It is basically a recruitment tactic to get kids interested in going into research. She is really into science and interested in being a veterinarian, but that is enormously competitive, so I'm glad for her to get some information about other uses for a Biology degree. I think she's close to making a decision about college. Business has been slow for DH, and he worries about it from time to time, but we're all doing a pretty good job of keeping positive. Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving to anyone who reads this. I'm trying to follow my own advice....be thankful....for friends...family...material blessings...health...faith....more than I can list. It does help!!

3 comments:

Jeannelle said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes. Too bad the holidays do seem to accentuate some of the negative things going on in our lives. And, I certainly agree that the shorter, darker days don't help matters at all.

But, how wonderful that you have many positives to balance things out! Enjoy having your son home from college.....I'm happy to have my daughter around right now. We were at odds so often when she was in high school, I can hardly believe the difference, now.

And, you have a band member at Disney World right now? How exciting! He'll have lots of great stories to tell. And, congrats to your daughter on getting into the research program at Mayo. They do a wonderful work there. I was on a tour with a school group there once, and watched to movie about the Clinic's origins.....the original Dr. Mayo and his two sons that established the group practice system. It makes me chuckle....not that its funny, but the old Dr. Mayo was a farmer and literally died with his boots on.....getting caught in a corn shredder when he was in his 90's. Isn't that something! You probably knew this already, anyway.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! I hope your cold gets better quickly.

Jeannelle said...

Hope you and your family are having a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend!

Nancy said...

Thanks for your kind comments, I've been off the grid for a few days, so I hope to get back to regular posting and visiting also. Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving. It was great to have our kids all at home this weekend, and our trip to Iowa earlier in the week was better than I thought it would be. Almost over my cold, so all is well. :)