Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Phone Flashback

As I mentioned on Saturday, it was TB's 16th birthday on Saturday and like any 16 yr. old, his own cell phone was his fondest wish. We're able to add him on to our plan for $9.99 a month, so that's what we did and told him he could pick from any of the "free" phones they are offering right now. As it turned out, DH and I both decided to upgrade our phones at the same time as it was "free"and we had both been having a couple of issues with the ones we had. We paid for insurance on all three phones so if they get dropped in the toilet or left at a baseball field somewhere we can get them replaced hence the "not really free" part. I wrapped the phone above, one DH had back in the 90's, to give him as his birthday present. All three of the kids laughed about it and DH's story about how he had chosen it because it was so small and how he wore it on his belt at work. I'll say one thing for it, it was sturdy. That old phone was simply a phone, but seemed quite amazing at the time. Our new one is also a camera, MP3 player, radio, calculator, alarm clock, and can synch with my computer to carry my calendar with all of my appointments intact and can also transfer pictures and music quite easily. I took the picture above with it. It's surprising how much the technology has advanced in just a few years. I guess there's a lot of money driving it. It shows that with enough money amazing innovations, those thought unbelievable a few years ago, are possible. I guess there has been innovation everywhere, but it's too bad we don't see a similar advancement in fuel economy or cancer treatment. That is advancements that are affordable for everyone to access.
******
I can't stop myself from mentioning the weather again. Our actual temp. this morning was -18, not fit for man nor beast. Another big storm is on the way for tonight, it would be nice to get a snow day out of the deal, but I doubt it.
******
I've joined my first group blog called A Place for Everything. It's topic is conquering clutter and each of us will blog about a particular area, things we're working on, etc. My main area is photographs. Check it out when you have a chance.

3 comments:

Anglophile Football Fanatic said...

My parents actually had the phones that resembled the ones the Charlie's Angels had. I totally understand what you mean!

Jeannelle said...

Our first cell phone was a bag phone. We got it around the time our first child started driving, so that was in the late 90's. Yes, we really felt high-tech.

And, you're so right.....if only research for a cancer cure was so motivated.

Dave said...

Holy shit, -18F. I would soo call in sick.

I am impressed you held off until 16 for the phone. Very impressive. I'm afraid, given these young'ins and their affinity for phones, we may have to give in early. Great tip about the insurance!