Monday, January 26, 2009

Finished projects


Like I mentioned last week, I spent most of the day on Friday at a sewing get-together with a couple of friends. We take our sewing machines and supplies over to our church where we can spread out, work part of the day, go for lunch, and come back and finish up without having to worry about leaving everything out. I worked on what I'm calling the Cardinal Quilt the entire day. I had worked on it a lot before Christmas, but it took me the whole day to cut and sew the last two rows of blocks and the dark purple border. On Saturday I finished up the borders and pieced the back, so it's ready to be quilted once I get it put together with the batting. Last night I made the table runner. It was a fun pattern I saw online. I used a charm square pack, sewed into two nine patch blocks and then cut in half from top to bottom and side to side. I ended up with 8 smaller blocks to randomly sew together. I was complaining Friday that I'm not good at "random". My cardinal quilt was supposed to have the printed blocks in a random pattern, but I ended up with three in a row down the middle, but I'm hoping no one but me will notice. The cardinal quilt is for CS, so his bed looks nice when he's not home. Ha. It turned out pretty large for a twin bed, so I think he'll be able to use it for a larger bed too. Hopefully he'll appreciate it some day. The runner is for a silent auction we're having at church. It's to raise funds for the summer youth trip my younger two and my husband are going on in July. My idea with naming my blog "Sew Many Days" was that I would have projects like this to show quite often. Hopefully it won't be so long before the next one.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Nancy, these are stunning! I have always loved and admired quilts and quilters. I'm afraid I'm craft challenged. But, your work goes far beyond craft..it's art.

Lois said...

These look just lovely, Nancy. I'm trying to figure out what you mean about the three down the middle.....are they the three diagonal cardinal blocks? No matter.....the whole quilt looks fine to me. That sounds like a great idea to sew together at the church. Do you get together to do the hand stitching, too? Our church's Ladies Aid had a group for years who would meet weekly in the church basement to do that. But, those ladies are dying away, unfortunately.

I'm been bad about visiting blogs lately.....my apologies.