Thursday, September 4, 2008

Art at ISU

As I mentioned, my daughter and I went for a college visit at ISU, my alma mater. I wanted to share a few pictures of some of the artwork on campus. Now I wish I had taken more pictures, especially outside since it was such a beautiful day. Here are a few of my favorite places on campus.
This is one end of a three piece sculpture on a wall outside the Oak/Elm Dorm entitled "Conversations". The artist was Christian Peterson and it was the last sculpture he did before retiring in 1952. Next is "Fountain of the Four Seasons". It was finished in 1948 and restored for it's 50th anniversary. It is on the north side of the Memorial Union. My favorite is the Wedding Ring that is on the lawn outside MacKay Hall. Unfortunately, it was vandalized several times and the current sculpture displayed is a cast of the original which is kept inside for safety. I also enjoyed seeing the Grant Wood murals in the library and walking by the Campanile. Sorry for the layout of these pictures, I'm still having a difficult time figuring out the best way to add pictures.

4 comments:

Jeannelle said...

Great to see the scenes from ISU! My son went there for three years, but I never did spend much time on the campus. I do recall seeing the Four Seasons fountain and pool near the Union one time.

I didn't know there were Grant Wood murals in the library there; his art is very distinctive.

Way back when my son visited ISU during high school years, we also toured the Reiman Gardens.....which was free then. A couple years ago I was there and decided I wanted to walk through the gardens, but admission fee was $8 or something, and I was fresh out of cash!

Very nice post! I used to try to put photos on right and left, but would have a terrible time with them moving into odd spots as I typed the post, so now I do only center photos.

Liz Hinds said...

I like sculpture that looks like what it's meant to be! Is that last one a trompe d'oeil?

I agree that laying out photos never seems to work exactly as you intended.

Russell said...

Very nice! I live about 10 miles from ISU and get a chance to get over there every so often - but not enough. It has a wonderful library, as most universities do, and beautiful art both outside and inside buildings.

Thanks for the great photos and information!

Ruthie said...

My awesome little brother goes to ISU! Lovely photos.