Saturday, September 20, 2008

Wierd Flowering Houseplant

My houseplants are the kind that can stand up to a lot of neglect. Several of them get moved outside for the summer so I don't have to worry about watering them. My problem with throwing anything away shows itself in my plants too. I have nursed several of them along for years, repotted their babies, given them away to friends, etc. This plant is one I bought about 14 years ago when we bought our first house. Since then I have whacked off the top when it got too tall several times. What's left grows a new shoot and I rooted and replanted the top. I have 5 of them now and have given a couple away, but I'm not really sure what it is. Anyway, I noticed this week that this one is flowering a very interesting bloom. It looks like there is another one in the works. I don't remember this ever happening before. Can anyone tell me what it is called? I think it might be some kind of diffenbachia (sp) but I'm not sure.

1 comment:

Jeannelle said...

Yes, I think it is a diffenbachia....."dumb cane". I used to have one like it, but got rid of it when the kids were little.