Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Days Flying By


Wow, where did August go? I can't believe it's September already. Everyone in the family, except DH, had their first day of school yesterday. It seemed to go well for everyone, although I haven't gotten a full report from college son(CS). He has already been back at college for two weeks, training for his job and working as a computer lab and tech support person. He was more than ready to go back to a new dorm and roommate both of which seem better than last year. I was most excited about him having a sink in his room, but that paled in comparison when he visited some friends from last year who are living off-campus. He was totally wowed by their awesome apartment, so I'm sure it's only a matter of time before he'll want to move out.
Senior Daughter (SD) and I had a nice trip to Iowa last week for a college visit to the old alma mater, ISU. We also managed to stop at one of my favorite quilt shops and stayed over with the in-laws and helped them with a few tasks. The campus was beautiful as always, but they didn't do such a great sales job otherwise. She is interested in Biology and Pre-Vet and the old prof they had us meet with was neither encouraging nor welcoming and barely tried to make her feel interested in going there. The music dept. however was great and arranged a meeting with the guy who would be her music teacher. It was fun to walk around campus with her, it brought back a lot of memories and I enjoyed telling her stories about my college days and showing her the dorm where DH and I met. I'll post some more pictures of campus another time.
I'm back to work at the elementary school nearest to our home. After working full time the last few months last spring, I'm back to my regular hours, just afternoons. I will miss the benefits, but it is a great schedule and I really like my coworkers and being so close to work. Not to mention time alone in the morning at home. No more excuses for not blogging or doing the other things I need to at home. We're gone from home most nights with different activities, so that time is precious and needed.
Our youngest son is a sophomore in high school. The upperclassmen started late yesterday, so this was his first day with the early wake up. Their bus comes at 6:50, so for a boy who could sleep all morning during the summer it will be a big adjustment for awhile. He got up on his own this morning, so I hope that will keep up. His blog nickname will be The Tall Beast or TB for short. I'm stealing that name from the Olympic volleyball player Phil Dahlhauser. He's 6'5" at 15 and still growing, so the name fits.

2 comments:

Jeannelle said...

What a very nice post! Fun to read about your kids' experiences and see the photos. Yes, some professors are good at being encouraging and welcoming and some are not. The kids just have to have the initiative inside themselves to take a certain college path, it seems.

Your 15-year-old son is 6'5"!!!? Wow, I better not tell my 16-year-old.....he's 6'0" and sure would like to get taller, but its doubtful. My husband has a brother who is 6'4" and whose son is 6'11", which is just way too tall. The tallness genes didn't show up in our kids, though.

Your work schedule does sound pleasant. You will enjoy those mornings at home!

Liz Hinds said...

6'5"! He'll get a great view at - well, anywhere!

I'll look forward to reading your blog more now you have extra time...!