Thursday, October 30, 2008

Comment Fishing

I like comments on my blog as well as the next person, I'll admit that. After blogging around a little more than usual this morning, I really don't like what I see. I can't decide if some of the outrageous material I'm seeing is "for real" or "for comments". Many of the ones that I think are "for real" really scare me. I see the terms "Christian" and "praying" thrown around with reckless abandon by people who are not acting like Christians in my opinion. I see racism thinly veiled as political belief. I see greed portrayed in many ways. Here's an interesting exercise that I suppose many bloggers have tried before me. Read the comments on a blog about any particularly divisive issue-lately it's been the election of course. Follow some of the particularly vitriolic comments back to their home blog. There you'll find that hate filled person blogging about babies and flowers and friends and puppies and kittens, etc. , etc. and they're often also mentioning God and how much they love Jesus and are praying for a particular issue. Give me a break! Here at Sew Many Days I'm sticking with the "fluff", family, friends, sewing, pictures of pretty things, etc. I'm not the kind of person who wants to "stir things up" for the sake of getting comments. I'll continue to be extremely careful about my comments to others, usually re-typing many times to get my meaning across without causing offense or portraying myself as something I'm not. If that means I'm stupid, apathetic, un-American, or un-anything, than so be it. That's my election platform! Of course I may change my mind once elected. Ha

No comments: