Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Politics and Families

Can I just say how much I hate our political system? All of these advertisements are about ready to make me scream. If I didn't have Tivo, I wouldn't be able to watch TV at all. What does it say about a person that they will subject themselves and their families to all of this? I think it is so tacky that most of them are using their families in TV spots, trotting them around to talk shows, or just neglecting them for that matter. My kids don't want to be identified or even mentioned on my blog. Of course I mention them, but I don't use their real names and I've tried to maintain some level of privacy. I know it wouldn't pass much scrutiny, but I don't think my three or four readers are really scrutinizing anyway. I would have liked to know the types of conversations that the candidates are having with their teenagers/spouses to convince them to go through with all of this. Here's my take:
"Yes, everyone, I'm talking millions of people will know that you are pregnant. They will probably start saying all kinds of bad things about you, but you'll just have to deal with it. Oh yeah, can you babysit for about the rest of your life? I'm going to be busy, at least looking busy, and I don't want to be bothered with all this kid stuff."
"Remember that ad you made for me the last time I ran for office? I want to run it again and have you say how great I've been in office, etc. I know you were 13 then. You looked fine, most teenagers would love to show old pictures of themselves on tv."
"Remember how I didn't divorce you for being an alcoholic? I want to make an ad where you say what a great husband I am and how I didn't leave you and stayed by your side. It will make people think I'm going to be great in office."
Wake me up when its over!!

No comments: