Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Our Trek to Duluth

We had a wonderful trip to Minneapolis and then to Duluth over the last weekend. I'm pretty proud of some of the pictures I got. The weather was great the whole time and the fall colors were spectacular. I forgot to carry my camera with me in Minneapolis, but here are some from Duluth.
We visited Glensheen Mansion pictured above. It was built in the early 1900's by the Congdon family. It was lavish at the time and worth millions today. Unfortunately, the youngest daughter and one of her nurse's were killed there in 1977 and that has become one of the reasons for it's notoriety today. It is now owned by the University of Minnesota Duluth where we were visiting with SD. She won't be going to UMD, but I''m glad we got the chance to check it out. The mansion had a beautiful little garden with many varieties of Dahlias. I was surprised to see them blooming so beautifully so late in the year. They must have been about 8" across.

Here are a few pictures I took while on the lakewalk in the downtown area. They still have a lighthouse at the entrance to the harbor. The sailboat had just sailed from the harbor under the aerial lift bridge and out into Lake Superior. It was very windy that day, so I'm sure they were moving fast once out in the lake. The city has developed the lakewalk in the last 15 years or so and it provides many beautiful vistas of the lake. I had a little trouble arranging my pictures the way I wanted. The statue below is of Leif Erickson, true "discoverer" of America. The sandy walk was at the end of a skinny island on the south side of the lake. We traveled the length of the island after driving over the lift bridge. All in all it was a great get-away and we spent a lot of time just relaxing at the hotel too. It was so great to not have to worry about work, cooking, the dog, or being anywhere on schedule.

2 comments:

Jeannelle said...

Oh, Nancy....what a nice post! Your photos are lovely! Sounds like you had a wonderful time in Duluth. That mansion looks intriguing......do you mean there was a murder there, though.

The lake scenes are beautiful! Looks like an ocean. I bet you're hoping your daughter will choose to go to college in Duluth so you can visit this lovely area often! Once again.....great post!

Nancy said...

Thanks! Yes, the murders were at the mansion. Lake Superior is the closest thing to an ocean in the midwest. I would recommend the trip there and up the North Shore, it is really beautiful and there are all kinds of great places to stop, a long drive though. She's not going to college there, so it will probably be awhile before we're there again.