Friday, October 10, 2008

A Super Easy Fall Project

I have finally gotten most of my fall decorations out, but I still needed some kind of a table runner for under my fall leaf candle holder. I got this leaf at a Partylite candle party a few years ago. I had intended to make a lovely quilted table runner for my dining room table, but it hasn't happened yet. Last night while I was in a cleaning flurry, I decided to look for the fall leaf fabric and came up with this little project that took about 15 minutes. I think it looks nice and it would be a good use for any large pattern fabric and could be made by anyone with a sewing machine and an iron, so I thought I'd post directions. First cut two pieces of fabric the same size in a square or rectangle. Then iron on some Wonder-under type fusible webbing to one of the fabrics on the wrong side. Peel the paper off of the backing after you've ironed it on. Pin the two squares together right sides together. Sew a 1/4 to 3/8 in. seam around all 4 corners leaving an open space a little larger than your hand on one of the sides. Turn the whole thing right side out and push out the corners and seams so they are flat. Lay it out on your ironing board and pat it out flat checking to see that the side seams are even and the opposite side fabric doesn't show. Start ironing on the side opposite the opening and use a hot iron to get the fusible webbing to stick. When you get about 2/3 done, fold the ends in on the opening making sure that side looks "square", pin if necessary and finish ironing. I used a little iron on hem tape to close the opening after I had ironed everything else. That's it, you now have a little table topper that you've created yourself. I put Christmas fabric on the other side so I can flip it over when the time comes. I may still get that runner made, but this will do until then.

1 comment:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

You are so clever and that is lovely.