Monday, March 23, 2009

Three Days and Counting.

Three more school days left until Spring break!! Today was a pretty low key day with an assembly to chew up a lot of time this afternoon. Tomorrow I'm covering in the office most of the afternoon and we don't have school on Friday or the entire next week, so I think I'll survive. I really like parts of my job. I like getting to know the kids and working with them one on one, reading with small groups, even correcting papers, but there are parts I really detest at times. I don't like disrespectful kids, naughty ones who make life miserable for anyone who has to work with them. Fortunately we only have a few at our school, but enough to make recess and lunch duty miserable this time of year when we are tired of it anyway. I wonder if their parents realize that their children are the ones that most of staff dislikes. I know I'd feel horrible if that were the case, unfortunately with most of these kids their parents are the source of the problem. Of course their are some kids with rotten parents who turn out okay, so who knows? Anyway, I'm in need of a break. Working at school you get used to the pattern of periodic breaks, weekends off, etc. Sometimes I think about getting a different job, but I'd really miss those breaks and having the same days off as the kids has always worked out well. In a few years, fewer than I care to think about, all of my kids will be out of school. Then I guess it would make a lot of sense to get a different job. I've been thinking a little lately of a career change, but I don't really know what I'd do. Hmmm, something to think about. The thought always comes back to feeling like I'm too old to do something really new. It would have been smart to do that 10 years ago or even 20 before my poor brain shriveled up too much. I heard the other day that the human brain starts to decline starting at age 27. Great, huh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy,

I read your blog "three days and counting" and thought their is a lady who likes her job and is good at it but needs something to fresh to get her teeth into. Click on my name and check out my blog. There are some links on the right hand side. Their might be something their for you to get excited about. Kind regards Matt

Jeannelle said...

I hope you had a pleasant day working in the office. I used to sub in the office at our Lutheran school occasionally and it was always enjoyable.

Its too bad there always are a few kids who rock the boat of kindness and respect. May you be blessed with patience to deal with them.

I don't know much about looking for jobs, or changing career paths, but I would guess its good to be open to opportunities that may present themselve, even if they seem a bit unusual at first.