Friday, July 3, 2009

Jewel Box Bank

Here's a few pictures of the Jewel Box bank on the town square in Owatonna Minnesota. I was exploring for a while the other day when TB had a baseball game there and actually had my camera with me for a change. This bank was completed in 1908, had subsequent additions and renovations, and was designed by Louis Sullivan a teacher of Frank Lloyd Wright. These buildings are pretty rare, but coincidentally our bank when we lived in Grinnell Iowa was very similar. Here's a link that shows pictures of both of those and some others too. Here's another one with a slide show and more information that you probably want. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Sherry said...

Oh Nancy, these are just stunning. What a treasure! I'm a big fan of art deco; ie, the Chrysler Bldg. in NYC. There are a couple in Detroit as well. The art work is really beautiful!

Nancy said...

Thanks for stopping by Sherry!! I like the Art Deco too, pretty amazing detail and things you wouldn't expect.

Jeannelle said...

Great photos, info, and links, Nancy! That arched stained glass window is amazing. I had never heard of Louis Sullivan before this. I may have to venture to Owatonna someday to see this building.

Jeannelle said...

Also wanted to say....your columbine header photo is gorgeous! Very sharp and clear....just perfect!