Monday, July 6, 2009

Oxbow Park

DH and I had most of the afternoon free yesterday, so we made a little excursion to Oxbow Park. It's a nice county park with hiking trails, a campground, and a little zoo also. I had taken the kids there a few times in the past, but DH had never been there as he informed me on the drive over. It was a beautiful day for such a trip and we enjoyed looking at the animals at the zoo, the log cabin, and doing the little hiking loop by the river. I'm sure Jeanelle over at Midlife by Farmlight will get a chuckle out of the calf being a zoo exhibit. Where else can we citified folk scratch a calf's ears?? Anyway, my last picture is of a mysterious 8 foot tall week with a red stalk. There were several growing around the river and it was new to me. If anyone knows what it is, let me know. This was kind of the start of DH and I trying to get in the habit of regular exercise. He's chaperoning the kid's youth group trip to New Orleans later this month and will be doing a lot of walking, so he needs to get in shape for that. Both of us have some extra winter poundage to lose, so there's no time like the present to start working on it.

2 comments:

Jeannelle said...

Nice post, Nancy! Yeah, around here we sort of roll our eyes over the concept of farm zoos, but its a good idea considering that the vast majority of people don't live on farms anymore. The kids and I once watched the milking exhibit at the Minnesota Zoo at Apple Valley. It was fun, especially since we didn't have to help!

I enlarged that weed photo, but don't know, either, what it is. We have tall woody weeds similar to it around our farm, but I have no idea what their name is.

Mrs Quilty said...

Those pics from the Zoo are wonderful...how fun.