Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Lazy days of summer

Not a lot going on around here, no schedule, no appointments, no ball games, no work.....it's awesome. Looking at the calendar has been strange, absolutely nothing on my calendar for today and tomorrow. Most people go on vacation when that happens, but for a variety of reasons, that won't be happening so I'm just enjoying my home vacation. I think there's a newly coined word for that....oh yeah, the "staycation". That's totally me!
Last night I went to a retirement party for one of the guys from work. He just turned 65 a couple of weeks ago. Working at school, it has always been a little strange to me to go a few months without seeing coworkers. It was nice to see lots of them at the party and and catch up on all the personal news and work scuttlebutt. One of my favorite coworkers got a promotion and will be moving to a different school. Isn't that the way it works? Fortunately we're still left with a lot of good ones...and a couple that it would be nice to see on their way. We don't start back to school here until after Labor Day, so I've got awhile yet to enjoy.
We found out today that college son has to move back to the dorm Aug. 20th to be there for training that starts on the 21st for hall staff. So just a couple of weeks left at home for him. I think he will be glad to get back to school though. Moms have a way of finding little projects, usually undesirable, for kids sitting around not doing much. Today it was painting storm windows. Yesterday, digging a hole. Ha. I'm finally getting around to some of those things too. I cleaned out drawers in my bathroom today. I was in the right frame of mind for throwing things out, so I got rid of quite an assortment of old make-up, expired meds., lots of other icky stuff. I cleaned my husband's drawers too, we'll see if he even notices. We always joke when I get around to a task like that that he should start looking for a pod since the real me has probably been abducted by aliens. Off to clean under the fridge. :)

2 comments:

Liz Hinds said...

My children are the same if I clean anywhere: are we having visitors? they ask.

But under the fridge?! Why?!!!

Jeannelle said...

You sound ambitious on your "staycation".....that's a cute term....I've never heard it before.

I don't know about you, but I always thinks its a little bit stressful having kids return home from college for the summer. We adjust, and then its time for them to go back!