Sunday, August 3, 2008

R and R

Yeah, a little rest and relaxation, but also a little about reading...and racism. One thing I wouldn't recommend is reading a great classic like To Kill a Mockingbird and then switching to a run of the mill "Christian/Amish" romance type novel. Ha. I had never read TKAM, so I read it recently. I actually got a first book club edition from my uncle when he cleaned out a bunch of books in the process of moving to an assisted living facility. Anyway, it took me a while to get into it, but I really enjoyed it and it was very thought provoking. One of my older friends had told me that she read it in college and really changed the way she felt about race and I can see that. Our church book group read it last year, so as usual, I'm a little behind them and now I'm sorry I missed the discussion. For some reason I have never liked "assigned" reading, so I had to get to it in my own time. Our city and the school district I work for have recently had some pretty serious race related issues. Although we have come a long ways on many fronts, it still amazing that race it such an issue. On a national level, I know there will be many deciding who to vote for in the fall simply by race. It's a sad commentary on our society. Education can make a difference to some extent, but sometimes all it takes is a person of a certain race taking a particular action to set everything back to square one. How do you get by that?

On a lighter note, we had a really nice lunch today with family friends. Our older sons are good friends, our middle two (boy and girl :) ) are dating and the two younger boys came along too. A good time was had by all. I got a haircut and hit another quilt shop this afternoon and we have our free downtown concert tonight. We have a concert every Sunday night for a few weeks in the summer and we always make a point of going. Usually there is a group of our church friends. Last week it was just hubby and I, so that was nice too. There is a different style of music every week, it always brings out a different segment of society, so the people watching is fun too. I hope the weather holds out, you can't beat 75 and overcast in July!

3 comments:

Jeannelle said...

The summer band concerts in your town sound like just the most pleasant thing! Good hometown activity.

I've never read TKAM, but have watched the movie with Gregory Peck. Yes, very thought-provoking. I do hope, too, that this fall's election doesn't become one based on race.

Liz Hinds said...

Hi Nancy, thanks for visiting.

I read TKAM a few years ago. Like you I tended not to read recommended texts at the time. It strikes me as incredible that America had segregation in my lifetime yet it's a fact. It takes a very long time for hearts and minds to change, I fear.

That's a very convenient group of family friends! Sounds like a good time was had.

Jeannelle said...

I just sent you directions to the little church....I hope I read your email correctly, and those two O's are actually zeros.