Sunday, April 5, 2009

Gratitude Part 2

I just remembered that I was supposed to post a deep and thought provoking commentary on my gratitude journaling experiment for the week. As usual, I fell a little short in terms of the daily entries, but I did manage to get writing a few times. Overall, I think it's something worth sticking with, although in all honesty, I'm not good at doing anything intentional on a daily basis. I usually would be in bed with the lights off before I would remember that I was supposed to write in my journal, so I would have a few thoughts of gratitude before drifting off to sleep. Throughout the week, I have found that I would occasionally think of some of the things and would feel a bit of happiness or fulfillment for that time. In the grand scheme of things, I think it is always good to have some positive thoughts to fall back on and I can see how documenting them makes them more memorable. In the future when I may be having a rough day, I could pick up my journal and page through it remembering all of the good things in my life. If I could say that I've learned one thing in the last year it would be to not give in to fear. Like everyone, I've had some bad stuff in the last year, some bad stuff that is still going on, but I've been able to get through it better lately by not giving in to being fearful about it. (Most of the time anyway) Fear is a robber- of sleep, health, optimism, confidence, and lots of other attributes- I'm trying hard not to go to that place and I think the gratitude journaling can be a piece of that, so I'm going to try to stick with it and see where it leads me. I don't think there's a need to worry about me turning into a big ol' Pollyanna, so don't worry about that. Have a good week!

2 comments:

Jeannelle said...

I think your post right here would qualify as your thought-provoking journal entry! Very good thoughts. Yes, difficult though it may be, its better to be grateful for what we do have, instead of fretting and fearing over things we don't have. When things went wrong, I would try to remember to tell my kids, "Things could always be worse." We have to at least try to keep a positive perspective. And, I have to remind myself of that, too!

Nancy said...

There have sure been a lot of examples of how things could be worse lately....flooding, earthquakes, foreclosure, unemployment, murderous rampages, etc. etc. You're right, it's important to keep everything in perspective. Also to realize that for people without that perspective, something small can seem as bad as some of the things above.